Monday, June 13, 2011

All Things to All Men?

Can you imagine what my brothers in Kenya would think if Amma and I showed up at the Nairobi International Airport dressed like this? Do you think it would help them any to say “I’m following Paul’s teaching to become all things to all men so that I might win some!” I don’t. I think they might pretend they didn’t know us and look for someone else.

Yet I think some of our ideas in doing God’s work are equally as silly. Especially mine. I so desire to help my Kenyan brothers and sisters I would do just about anything to be able to effectively speak and demonstrate the love of God to them. I have been thinking about it all week and getting a little anxious about going.

Then I was reminded of some wonderful advice from a dear friend named Nathanael. At first glance his counsel doesn’t appear too spiritual, but for me, it’s straight from the heart of God. I think most of God’s counsel comes that way. This is what he gave me.

First, I need to be myself and not somebody or something else that I’m not. I should try and  just be a good friend. God is not sending to Kenya the man I wished I could be, should be, or need to be …He’s sending me!

 I need to relax.  Truth is I really don’t know what my brothers and sisters need there in Nakuru. Yet, I suspect if I go to be their friend and trust that God sent me, I can expect the ruler of heaven will show me what to do.

That is, after all, what Christ did when He came down to visit us. He didn’t try and relate… He came to be our  friend. I think, just like us, He had to believe that He had been sent by God and that the Father would show Him what to do …minute by minute. So the first thing He did was to find out what His Father was doing and join Him. That’s exactly what I intend to do as well.

Second I need lighten up. Most of the people we will encounter in Nakuru have never seen the “lighter side” of Christ. They really don’t  know He will; teach you how to not take yourself so seriously, how to laugh at yourself, show you how to have fun everywhere, and how life can be an incredibly exciting adventure.  
When He came to the earth men were already weary from trying to “imitate God.” I mean, just think about it… try and  imitate God?  It makes me tired just thinking about it.

He has something much better in mind. That would be Him living through me… His life. Talking about an adventure…. Wow! We have really don't have any idea what He wants to do! And you know what? He wants to do it through us. The answer to what I should do is …get close to Him and stay close.


You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psa 16:11)

Because of terrible misinterpretations of His teachings the idea is prevalent that if you walk around all day looking miserable you are really spiritual. Nothing could be further than the truth. Being miserable all the time is a misrepresentation of Christ and His gospel. So if I am to show them the path of Life I really need to ….lighten up.

So if you really want to experience a great day …stay close to the One who keeps joy and pleasure close to Him! Some might ask … even at the cross? Yep. Remember the scripture says … For the joy set before Him he endured the cross…

...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
 (Heb 12:2)

Lastly my friend said I needed to show them that God is everywhere and in everything. From dragonflies to the dragon’s lies, God our Father is in it all.
We live with a very present God. One who reveals himself through sunshine and clouds, dragonflies landing on your finger to government agents driving through the gates to take our children. He is above all, over all, and very much for us.
He will always and in all things love us, protect us, discipline us, nurture us and if we’re watching ….reveal Himself to us in all things. No weapons against us will work, and like the person said…. I read the end of the book and ….we win.

No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their righteousness is from Me," Says the LORD. (Isa 54:17)

Therefore there is nothing to fear, nothing to be anxious over, and nothing even to fret about. Nothing at all better to do than spend the rest of our days being grateful and showing our thanks.
So begin to pray for us that we go in His Spirit revealing His love and His incredible good news. I know that's what He wants to do. We will try and blog every wonderful revelation of Him we see.  David Noah

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! Most of my life, I've taken myself and everything so seriously that I couldn't even stand to be with myself. Thank God for releasing us all into the kingdom of love, peace and joy!

    I really like the picture of you with the Kenyan boy! I can feel the love!

    ReplyDelete